Friday, May 9, 2008

Spring and Lederhosen are in the air






Sorry it's been so long. I've been keeping busy but I guess I also felt like the "Adventure" post was so well thought out, that I wanted to follow up with something decent. But alas, I don't think I have any huge thoughts this time, just some updating.

First of all, I hope this works again, I've posted photos from the last month of so on Facebook, including a traditional Austrian dance with Lederhosen and me in dirndl, as well as beautiful mountains. Check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2113644&id=25913493&ref=share

And now a different format; a list of things I'm currently stoked about:

Today I saw my least favorite class for the last time! There are some great and nice kids in this first period class but some of them just have nasty attitudes, don't listen, throw paper and other stupid things. But now it's done!

One more period of class today and I only have three weeks of school left. The funny thing is though, we have several 4 day weekends and since the graduating classes are writing exams, have fewer classes per week.

After very volatile but warming weather, it has started to stabilize more. It's been 70+ degrees the last week or so and sunny almost the whole day. I'm losing my winter translucence and discovering new freckles every day.

My landlady let me borrow an extra bike the family has, so I've been scooting around Landeck and riding to Church in Imst (about an hour one way) for the last couple weeks.

The outdoor swimming pool, that's only a 5 min walk from my house, opened so yesterday I went and froze my buns off in the still cold water, but was able to jump out and lay in the warm sun afterwards. I would have swam longer but I kept getting leg cramps. I'm not sure why, maybe cuz it was so cold?

I bought a plane ticket to Barcelona, Spain! Woohoo! I will be in Spain from June 3 to July 8. i am in the process of trying to plan a two week stay at an organic farm with the organization World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF). You can find out more about them at http://www.wwoof.org/. I will spend most of the other two weeks rock climbing and am trying to figure out if I can meet up with some of my German relatives who will also be in Spain around that time.

I have a four day weekend this weekend so I am leaving this afternoon and hiking up into the mountains behind my house for a four day four night backpacking trip. Alone. This is the first overnight trip I've ever done in the back country. Another TA was considering coming but got a cold and backed out. So I'm armed with all my gear, my Bible, Spanish phrase book so I ca practice, and a climbing book in German by Reinhold Messner-good inspiration while in the mountains.

I've got to run in a minute, but for the praying types out there here are a few prayer requests:

Thanks and praise for my fading homesickness and down-ness has given way to enjoyment of spring and excitement for my coming adventures. Also for the cool stuff I've been learning in the word.

Purposefulness this weekend hiking alone, in my final weeks in Landeck and with the relationships I've built here.

For the coming transitions from work to play and culture shock from Austria to Spain, new language, etc., then Allie's visit in July (yes, that's right, she's coming again) and then again when I return home at the end of July.

OK gotta run to class. Don't forget to check out the funny pictures!

No comments: