Sunday, December 2, 2007

How Clumsiness Pays and other short stories

Let's see if I can make this story short. A difficult challenge for me. After hanging up the wash to dry in the evening, I took the laundry basket upstairs to my landlady. It was already dark out but the first flight of stairs had enough light for me to see. When I got to the main floor where my landlady's daughter and family lives, I couldn't see well enough any more, so I went to click on the hall way light which happens to be right next to the door bell which is the same shape (and did I mention it was dark). So I accidentally rang the door bell. I hoped no one would hear because it sounded like there was a party or something going on, but Wilfred (husband) answered the door. I sheepishly explained that I just meant to turn the hall light on. In response, he explained that it was Evelyne's birthday and invited me in for a drink.
Sometimes it is difficult for me to say yes in such situations because I don't want to be imposing, or I don't want to have an awkward time, but I am learning to say yes, because, WHY NOT? If they ask, you don't have to feel bad about saying yes. And if you say no too often, people will stop asking.
This all ran through my head, and I knew I only had one thing to say, "Warum nicht?" Which of course means, 'why not?'. I then joined a group of almost 20 people around a table and had a grand old time talking to a few different people, trying some of Wilfreds award winning, homemade Schnapps and home made Italian food, listening to a smattering of nearly unintelligible dialects and the singing of traditional Tirolean songs, including my all time favorite (since I learned it last month) "in die Berge bin I gern" 'I love to be in the mountains'. Kat and Kathi taught it to me when we went hiking in Italy. Although I only managed to remember the first line, I think it's the most important one.

I had a really cool week. Full of fun stuff that makes me feel more and more at home. On Monday I went to Innsbruck, signed up to be a member of the Austrian Alpine Club and borrowed a book from their library called, "Im Eis" (In Ice) by Ines Papert a studly ice climbing chic that lives in southern Germany. I am am really enjoying reading it and getting super pumped up for exploring the Alps and improving my rock and ice climbing skills. And learning how to say important vocabulary like Eisgeraet (ice tool) and Hoehenkrankheit (altitude sickness). My German is improving so much, but only the people I climb with can tell the difference since I only learn climbing words. On Tuesday I got togeter with some of the other young women from church and we talked about our week and prayed- super cool.
On Wednesday I went climbing with 6 other teachers indoors at the climbing gym where many European competitions take place. It was super fun, but I haven't climbed for a few weeks so I got tired really quick and was super sore after. Then we all went out for a drink after. I got home super late and then had to prepare for class the next day so on Thursday I think I read some from the ice climbing book and fell asleep in my chair. Friday I slept in, did some cleaning, went for a run, worked on travel plans for Al and I and then went to a climbing film festival and a little town near Innsbruck and invited Johanna and her boyfriend to come. It was super fun. We got to see a slide show from this old Austrian dude, who's name I don't know but he climbed a bunch with Reinhold Messner and did crazy mountaineering stuff. he was a really engaging speaker.
Then on Saturday I went with some people from my church to a refugee home nearby and we brought drinks and cake and hung out with the families, played games, talked, sang songs. I was nervous about it, because they are in some pretty sad situations, far from home (where there is maybe a war going on or bad governments) far from family and friends, they don't know German, they are in a totally different culture and they have a lot of trouble integrating. Another thing that made me especially nervous was that I knew there were some people from Afghanistan there. I just pictured our meeting coming across as, "Hi my name is Becca. I'm from the U.S. that country that blew up your home." Although I am less opposed to the war in Afghanistan than Iraq, and see some good in it, that doesn't necessarily make it easier for the thousands of people that have lost their homes, families, jobs, lives. It turned out really well, I want to tell you more, but it's getting pretty late. Anyway, after that I went to my pastor's house for dinner since there was just an hour or so before church (once a month we have church Saturday night). It was nice to hang out with them and a couple other younger girls from church that were there too.

then of course I went to the Birthday party, stayed until after 2 am, slept in LATE this morning. I dd some sewing repairs to a bag and head band, read my Bible, ice climbing book, learned some non-climbing oriented words, went for a short run, and did a bit of cooking (oriental cabbage salad). Mom, I used the ramen noodles you sent, thanks! It was real yummy.

On another note: I just found out today that my cousin Jeff and his new wife who live in Virginia, just had their baby. That means I'm an aunt. Craziness!

Happy first day of Advent! I hope everyone gets a chance to slow down during this impending Christmas season and think and pray and enjoy family and friends and life and not just shopping and running around like crazy. I know it is too late, but if you haven't heard of it, the counter-culture "Buy Nothing Day" takes place every year the day after thanksgiving when most people are out in the cold waiting in lines to get the good deals. Google it and you'll find their web site.

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so cool to read about how you're getting out there and doing awesome things.

You go girl!

-Lisa